On this page we bring you a variety of small business resources that we use and think would be helpful for you. These resources carry our personal recommendation as we consider them to be valuable and important for you and your business.
- Helpful Websites
- In my business plan post, I review the Business Startup Plan document I have used from the Score.org. It is quite helpful as it has many questions to help you think through all the aspects of your business. Whether or not you need a business plan for outside financing, going through this document is a helpful and insightful process for any new or aspiring business owner. This plan includes the following resources:
- The Sum of Business Blog – shameless plug over to my business management and accounting blog. I work over there putting up great content and information on every aspect I can think of about running a small business. Check it out and let me know what you think!
- QuickBooks – best accounting resource for your business; go with the desktop version (QuickBooks Pro is fine) and buy on Amazon as they usually carry the cheapest prices around. (my personal endorsement based on my experience)
- AICPA – American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Alternative Accounting Software that I have reviewed. This software is not as well-rounded as QuickBooks, but is great to get started on the cheap and better than nothing!
- QuickBooks Payroll – payroll subscription for your QuickBooks file (worth the cost, but if you have a small payroll, it may be more cost-effective to go with a payroll plan like I offer here)
- Electronic Federal Tax Payment System (EFTPS) – you will need to sign up for this service to pay your payroll tax liabilities electronically (see this post for more info)
- New Employee Documents – download these documents or maintain records to make sure you have everything you need from your new employee (also see this post):
This is by no means exhaustive, so if you don’t see what you are looking for, just give me a call or send me an email and I will help you out! If I don’t have it, you may have just landed me my next research project and I will be up til 3 am figuring it out!